Wanderers FC were formed in 1859 and were founder members of the Football Association in 1863. They won the first FA Cup in 1872, but folded in 1887. Back in 2009 the club were reborn and now they have just opened their brand new home ground.
For several seasons, the club have been looking for a long-term home, the first that the club can lay claim to since playing at the Kennington Oval in the 1880s.
Following a successful crowdfunding campaign, the club are pleased to announce that all men's and women's home games will be played at Virgo Fidelis School in Upper Norwood.
The club held their grand opening at the weekend with two men's matches against Junction Elite and Old Rutlishians taking place.
Wanderers 1sts beat Junction Elite 3rds 9-2 in the first game and then the 2nds beat Old Rutlishians B 3-2 in the Surrey South Eastern Combination Junior Division 5.
The club have put lots of hard work into this new project.The facilities that will be available upon full completion are:
Full-sized 11-a-side football pitch with brand new 24' x 8' goals
Smaller 7-a-side football pitch with brand new 16' x 7' goals
Home and away substitutes benches
Large home changing rooms with several changing cubicles with showers
Away changing rooms with toilets
Pitchside 'MegaShed' for storage and covered seating
'Gold Cube' hospitality area with full, working kitchen and bathroom